Monday, October 30, 2006

A sense of deja vu...

On a day when I was happy, even gloating for my proud nation, for having 'scaled another peak' and having finally delivered justice, notwithstanding the maxim 'justice delayed is justice denied' I see this and I feel like puking.
Dara Singh may or may not have killed Graham Staines, but for the statements he made after getting arrested and in the lead up to it, I think he definitely deserves to rot in jail till he dies and to rot in hell after it. I would prefer he goes to hell sooner rather than later, though. He is a major threat to peace & communal harmony in Orissa and the rest of India, and I seriously think the court might have erred in acquitting him for even if he didn't personally kill Staines & much of his family, his statements were inflammatory enough to have precipitated the whole thing.
Overall, I think India's record in condoning 'mass action' is too bad. Riots, pogroms are too often easy shields for people to hold up and give reasons why something bad happened and could not be controlled. What happened with the Ujjain professor is a case in point on how mass action can used to finish off political rivals or 'inconvenient' elements in the system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home